Are you familiar with some common causes, risk factors or treatments involved with sleep apnea? Because sleep apnea is a condition in which you have interrupted sleeping and breathing patterns while you sleep, there are several risks involved that could be responsible. Common questions associated with sleep apnea risks and treatments are as follows:
What is sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea is a condition and sleeping disorder that arises due to issues with interruptions associated with breathing difficulties while you sleep.
What are the two most common forms of sleep apnea?
- Obstructive sleep apnea: Obstructive sleep apnea occurs due to blockages in your air flow.
- Central sleep apnea: Central sleep apnea is a disorder in which brain signals sent to your breathing muscles instructing them to breathe are blocked or not received.
What are the risk factors for sleep apnea?
The following are common risk factors for sleep apnea:
- large tonsils
- a large tongue
- genetic predispositions
- deviated septum
- allergies or sinus problems
What are my options for sleep apnea treatment?
- adjustments to your sleeping habits
- oral appliances
- continuous positive air pressure devices (CPAPs)
No matter which sleep apnea treatment you need, Dr. Brenda E. Howard and our team at Blissful Dental will help you. To book an oral exam for sleep apnea, a routine checkup or professional cleaning at our dental office in Lanham, Maryland, please contact us at 301.552.2662.